Buying guide for best sand-proof beach towels
Last Updated October 2020
Walking on the sand is comforting and soul healing. However, when it comes to our beach towels, we all can agree that sand is something we could do without. Within the first moments at a beach, we realize that it is impossible to keep our beach towels sand-free. With every drop of water, it gets even more sticky and impossible to shake off.
Imagine we would tell you that you can shake the sand off your beach towel quite easily. How is that possible? With a sand-proof beach towel. With special fabric content, these towels are specifically created to repel sand and make it very easy to remove. Specialty brands make them in a plethora of colours, sizes, and shapes so we are convinced there will be one just right for you.
How to decide on the best beach towel on the market? Read through our recommendations to find out more about what makes a beach towel THE BEST.
Keeping your beach towel sand-free is the main concern for most of us: a clean towel keeps our skin comfortable without any scratches or unpleasant abrasions.
Some materials have added benefits and complementary qualities that will affect the usability of your beach towel. Some need to be blended with other materials to provide you with its full benefits as they are not appropriate to be used for beach towels on their own.
- Nylon is quick-drying and sand-repellant. However, nylon is too thin to be used as a beach mat.
- Sand easily falls through the double-sided mesh but it does not absorb water as well.
- Microfiber is highly absorbent and long-lasting which makes it the perfect material for beach towels.
What makes microfiber the best choice?
- Water absorption: Microfiber can absorb an incredibly high amount of liquid while being very quick-drying. This means that you can easily shake the sand off when it is dry, saving yourself the hassle you would have with other materials such as cotton which stays wet for a long time.
- Light: The fabric construction of microfiber, the blend of polyester and nylon, makes it very lightweight. This is especially appealing when you are packing for a beach holiday for your whole family or when you have a long way to walk from your car to the beach.
- Thin: The construction is very compact which means the beach towel will take up only a little space. As a matter of fact, the fabric weave is so tight that sand will just glide right off its surface.
You can find beach towels in a variety of shapes and sizes on the market. Whichever you choose they will compress to the size of a small beach-worthy novel so the space in your beach bag will not be a factor to decide on. However, there is no need for a child to struggle with a double-sized towel so consider what is the purpose of your towel and how is it going to be used when deciding.
Towels are available as small as 30 x 60 cm all the way up to 200 x 160 cm; these are perfect for couples, families, or friends that are looking for a beach towel that will double up as a beach mat. Smaller towels are ideal for individual use.
Microfiber offers a very smooth, fine feel on your skin but it might not be to everyone's liking. If it is not for you, research some alternative brands that advertise different texture finishes. Various weaving techniques yield different results from suede-like feel to waffle textures so do not give up on microfiber beach towels just yet, there are options for you.
A highly practical addition to any beach towel is a hanging loop. Whether you want your towel to air-dry quicker hanging on your beach umbrella or canopy or you are taking a shower in a bathroom, a loop always comes in handy.
Water-absorbent, compact, and lightweight material is an indisputable benefit. However, this also means that your beach towel can be easily blown away on a windy day. Some producers have decided to incorporate small corner pockets that can be filled with beach pebbles or sand to keep them steady in place. If your towels do not have this feature, you can always wight it down by placing your beach bag or other gear on top of it to prevent it from blowing away.
While a storage pouch is not a necessity, it certainly offers enjoyable benefits. With a sand-proof beach towel that folds down to almost nothing, it becomes very easy to misplace it or lose it amongst your other towels. A pouch makes it simpler to locate it in your storage or in your beach bag.
A beautiful, lightweight, sand-proof beach towel that comes in an elegant storage pouch makes a perfect gift for your beach buddy!
Some sand-proof towels are made with antiseptic treatments that will help to protect against any possible bacteria that you might encounter on the beach. Always look for the detailed product descriptions.
- Patterns and colours: Sand-proof beach towels are now available in a plethora of patterns and colours. We are spoiled for choice! Whether you like simple single colours, bright hues or prints, you are sure to find a one you fancy.
- Snaps: Some manufactures have included snaps into their sand-free towel designs so you are literally attach them to anything!
- Recycled materials: Some manufacturers took their game to a next level with utilizing recycled materials in construction of their eco-friendly sand-proof beach towels.
Sand-proof beach towel prices
Cheap: The most inexpensive sand-proof water-repelling beach towels are available for as little as $10. These will most probably be in simple colours and smaller in size.
Mid-range: The standard sand-proof beach towel will cost around $20 and should come in a size suitable for a single person. Some of them might feature simple patterns or prints, hanging loops, or storage pouches.
Top end: The most expensive towels can go for $70 to 80. These will be larger in size and the range should be available in a variety of colours, patterns and feature additional benefits such as hanging loops, beautiful storage pouches and antibacterial treatments.
What to remember
- Always, always read care instructions! Some towels might not respond well to high temperatures or air-dryed due to their fabric content or special treatments.
- Some colourful beach towels might stain other fabrics so make sure to wash them separately first.
- The lightweight and compact character of sand-proof beach towels makes them also ideal for travel, camping, yoga classes or swimming lessons and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why can’t I find a sand-proof towel that’s fluffy?
A. Sand-proof beach towels are manufactured with a technology that allows for sand to slide off easily which a fluffy texture would not do. Fluffy towels we are used to with cotton fabric construction have a grabby surface that attracts sand and keeps it in. Microfiber beach towels are thin, sleek, and tight weaved which allows them to dry extremely fast and any sand that would attach to it releases quickly.
Q. How to wash a sand-proof beach towel?
A. First and foremost, follow the care instructions that were provided with your sand-proof beach towel as it might have special treatments that require different care. If you have a standard microfiber beach towel, simply wash it with warm water and detergent. Avoid bleach or fabric softeners that might clog the spaces in between fibers, affecting its absorbency.
You may wash your microfiber sand-free beach towels with other synthetic materials that do not shed any fluff. Some towels are okay to be air-dried on low heat. If your towel is made of a blended material, make sure to check your specific care instructions.
Q. Do sand-proof beach towels dry quickly?
A.Simply put - yes. Their microfiber construction dries heaps faster than cotton. They are highly absorbent yet very thin which means the space inbetween countless of tiny fibers can take in a lot of liquid but dries out extremely quicky. In contrast, cotton beach towels are heavy, fluffy and thick, taking hours to dry.